Evolution of the administrative district
8 gus and 268 dongs
- Seoul’s districts expanded to 268.353Km², representing a twofold increase in size since national independence in 1945.
- With changes in si and do districts and gu and gun names,and locations, the jurisdiction zones come to encompass 45 ri-districts including Sungin-myeon, Dokdo-myeon, Eunpyeong-myeon, and Siheung-gun, and Dong-myeon of Goyang-si, Gyeonggido Province.
- Seongbuk-gu was added to the eight districts, making nine in total.
- Seoul incorporates 5 gun and 84 ri districts
- Area 595.50Km²
- Population : 2.59 million.
- Gupabal-ri, Jingwannae-ri, Jingwanoe-ri of Goyang-gun, Gyeonggi-do are incorporated into Seoul
- Area 605.33Km²
- Gwanak-gu, Dobong-gu added (9→11 gu districts)
Gangnam-gu (11→12 gu districts)
Gangseo-gu (12→13 gu districts)
Eunpyeong-gu and Gangdong-gu (13→15 gu districts)
- Guro-gu and Dongjak-gu (15→17 gu districts)<.li>
- Seoul’s population reaches 9.2 million
Songpa-gu, Jungrang-gu, Nowon-gu, Seocho-gu and Yangcheon-gu (17→22 gu districts)
Gangbuk-gu, Geumcheon-gu and Gwangjin-gu (22→25 gu districts)
- Area : 605.21㎢ (2014)
- Population : 10,297,138 people (2015)
- District : 25 gus, 424 community centers